Frequently Asked Questions

Cyclone Gabrielle in New Zealand - what support is available to OrbitProtect members and where can I get help?

We know many of our customers are feeling the impacts of Cyclone Gabrielle across Aotearoa, New Zealand. This was a dramatic and widespread weather event that has caused significant damage, loss of property and tragically loss of lives. This is a very stressful time for many. Please rest assured that OrbitProtect’s team is here to assist you with information and to help you work through your claims process if you need it.

  • You may have personal belongings cover in your policy. Please refer to your policy wording for more information or contact us if you have questions.
  • You may have loss of deposits cover, where cancellation of travel and educational arrangements were impacted by Cyclone Gabrielle. Refer to your policy wording for more information or contact us if you have questions.
  • Please note excess may apply to the payments you are entitled to.
  • As our insurance cover is specific to travel, medical and personal belongings-related costs (depending on your policy) we do not cover any damage to houses, vehicles, or any EQC-related costs (e.g. damage to land by the heavy rain and wind).
  • For claims queries please contact if you have access to email. Alternatively, you can call us on 0800 478 833.


Click here to find out what other support is available from the New Zealand government and local Civil Defence and where you can get help.

What type of OrbitProtect plan is most suitable for me?

If you are .... 

We recommend

intending to spend over 50% of your time in New Zealand to study

Student Plan 

a non-resident individual in New Zealand for work, holiday, short stay etc (includes Working Holiday visa holders)

Experience NZ Plan

in New Zealand with a partner and/or children for work, holiday or short stay

 Experience NZ Plan 

in New Zealand on a Working Holiday visa

 Working Holiday Plan

I'm unhappy with OrbitProtect services.   How can I make a complaint?

Our aim is to provide you with excellent customer service. However, if you feel we’ve let you down, then firstly we sincerely apologise. We’d like to reassure you we’re committed to doing our best to make things right. If you would like to make a complaint, please click here for the complaint process.


I want to travel to New Zealand.   Am I covered for COVID-19 under the OrbitProtect policy?

We have put together scenarios detailing our OrbitProtect policy coverage specific to COVID-19. Click here to see the various scenarios and cover conditions.

Why do I need my Certificate of Insurance?

You need your Certificate of Insurance to confirm that you are insured with us and that your details are correctly identified on your Certificate of Insurance.

Your policy number is also printed on your Certificate of Insurance. You will need your policy number when you make a claim.

(Note: If you purchase our policy online, we will email you the Certificate of Insurance. Please ensure you also check your SPAM / JUNK mail folder as the email may go to this folder).


What is the difference between OrbitProtect Lite and Prime plan?

In a nutshell, over and above the medical coverage, the difference is that our Prime plan offers automatic property cover and our Lite plan doesn’t. Depending on the type of insurance you have with us, the property cover and limits varies. You should check our policy wording and brochure for the cover limits relating to your plan.

What is an excess?

As defined in our policy wording, excess is “the amount of the claim you must meet. It is not covered by this insurance, and we will deduct it from the claim.”

Excess applies only to each event of claim. 

Example 1: If your policy excess is $100 and your total claim cost is $150, if we agree to pay your claim, then you need to pay the first $100 and we will refund you the remainder $50.

Example 2: If your policy excess is $100 and your total claim cost is $50, there is no claim refund to consider as you need to meet the first $100 as per your policy excess.

What do I do if my OrbitProtect plan has expired?

As with all medical travel insurance you would need to purchase a new policy. Unlike health insurance, we cannot provide automatic roll over cover.

When should I lodge a claim?

You should make sure you lodge your claim within 21 days of when you incurred your cost(s). The sooner you lodge your claim the sooner we can work on your claim.

If you are unsure whether we could cover your cost(s), you should still submit your claim. As you provide us with the information we require, our case officer(s) can then assess your claim to see if we can agree to pay for the cost(s) you incurred.

How can I make a claim?

To make a claim go to our home page on , click on “MAKE A CLAIM" on the top menu.

If it is your first time making a claim, you will need to first register your details on the online claims system.  You would only ever need to register once on our claim system. You can use the same account for all of your subsequent claims.

After registering, you could simply log on with your registered email as your login and your own created password.

When making a claim ensure you upload all your related documents such as your invoice(s), receipt(s) and medical note(s) by either scanning or taking a photo of them.

If you are making a claim for the loss of your property through theft or burglary, you will need to upload the police report. 

For more information about making a claim, you may refer to this link in our website:

How long does it take to process my claim?

As claim is submitted online, we can usually work on your claim on the same day (provided that it is a working day). If it is a relatively straight forward claim (for example, a cold or flu) we can usually complete working on your claim the same day or the next day.

If we have agreed to pay your claim, payment is transferred to your bank account within 3 to 5 working days.

Important: In order to make sure we can work on your claim quickly, you need to provide as much documentation as possible when you submit your claim. Ask your doctor for your medical notes before you leave the clinic. Don’t forget to attach your invoice(s), receipt(s), medical note(s) and other relevant documentations when you submit your claim.

I’m unwell where do I go to see a doctor?

If you are unwell, you should see a General Practitioner (GP / doctor). You could choose any clinic most convenient to you. If it is after hour or during the weekend, go to the After Hour Clinic in your area.

When you visit your doctor, you must first pay for your doctor’s visit. Make sure you keep the invoice, receipt along with other relevant costs such as prescription, lab tests, etc. You should also ask your doctor for your medical note(s). Make sure you upload these relevant documentations when you submit your claim online.

(Note:  Your claim can be processed much quicker by us if you have all documentations ready for us. These documentations include invoices, receipts and medical notes. You can ask your doctor to give you your medical notes during your visit)    

What do I need to do if I need surgery?

You cannot be in a happy place if you require surgery and we empathised with your predicament.

However, to make sure we can assist you as efficient as possible you need to quickly submit your claim online.

If you require pre-approval for your surgery, we would appreciate if you could allow 5 working days for us to assess your claim and work with your medical provider(s) to see if pre-approval can be given.

To obtain pre-approval for surgery, you must provide the following:

  • medical notes
  • referral letter from specialist
  • estimated cost, and
  • date scheduled for your surgery

Am I covered for dental treatment?

You need to refer to the policy wording related to your plan. The dental treatment varied depending on the policy you hold.

Policy wording can be found on our website. Alternatively, please call us to discuss.

How to make a claim

Watch our video to learn how to make a claim through our online claims system


Living in New Zealand

Living in New Zealand

Whether you have recently arrived as an international student, a nurse who is about to undertake a Competency Assessment Program or as an Essential Work visa holder, we understand the challenge you face. Adjusting to a new way of life in New Zealand can be demanding but rewarding.

Read More